Monday, January 27, 2014

Catching Up

I have not been so good about this whole blogging thing. So I'm just going to jump on into this. I'm in Scotland now! I hopped across the pond last Tuesday out of LAX on an Air New Zealand flight direct into London. My cousin Cam would be excited to see that my Air New Zealand plane had a huge mural of the Hobbit on its side. 


I had two full seats to myself on the 10 hour flight. Landed at Heathrow in mid-morning and then had to drag my luggage through underground tunnels to terminal 5 to check in three hours early for my flight to Edinburgh. After killing time in the terminal, I boarded the plane with numerous other young people headed for a number of Scottish universities. I caught a ride to St Andrews with the student shuttle service, but I admit I napped for most of the hour long journey from the airport to St Andrews.  

West Sands
I'm living in self-catered ensuite accommodation with five other flatmates. Or in plain English, I have my own room and bathroom and share a kitchen with five other girls who are First Years (or Freshers) here at St Andrews. My room boasts a desk, closet and a (rock hard) double bed.


My bathroom not too big and not too small and the floor tiles seem to be heated which is perfect for bare feet in the early morning. But I still am trying to understand western European showers. There is a corner of the bathroom with shower head, drain, and curtain, but the area is only about a centimeter lower than the rest of the bathroom and the shower curtain doesn't reach the floor. Perhaps I'm just an uncultured American or the bathroom is really almost supposed to flood.

The silver bar on the right is where the shower is located.
Having a corner room is quite nice, it means I have two large windows that face out towards the front of the building instead of windows facing towards the nursery school that is hidden amongst all the apartment buildings in our complex. 

My view on a clear day





No comments:

Post a Comment